Awesome Mixtape Vol. 2: Your Retirement Jam Revival
If you haven’t read Awesome Mixtape Vol. 1: How to Master Your Retirement Jam, you should because it’s chock full of tunes goodness. But, oy, we live in a world of perpetual streaming and episode recaps.
So Mixtape Vol 1. Recap …
- Mixtapes are AWESOME!
- We at blooom LOVE music
- Hearing about a great card game called MIXTAPE on a favorite podcast of mine, The Chalkboard Podcast, got me thinking. The game poses questions like what’s the “best song for riding a unicorn across a rainbow?” and demands you match it with a song. This prompted me to ask the question of the blooom team (and you!): The day you decide to retire or give your notice of retirement, what song plays in your head (i.e. what’s your theme music for this moment)?
- So many submissions hit my Slack channel that we’ve created not just ONE (you really should check out Awesome Mixtape Vol. 1: Master Your Retirement Jam the blog post and the Spotify playlist), but TWO volumes (our Engineering ninjas and me get to rock this one out).
The next mix is strictly a three-act affair, crowdsourced by a few of blooom‘s technical maestros, Jeff Durbin and Taylor Johnson, and yours truly (because I want to remain relatively impartial, Director of Client Happiness Chad Beland will offer commentary about each selection in italics):
Awesome Mixtape Vol. 2: Retirement Jam Revival
So because Jeff and Taylor crowdsourced their submissions for this mix, we’ll have a Jeff side and a Taylor side (with an extra track from me on each). What’s curious about all of this collaboration is that there is little color around each of the selections themselves (shoulder shrug). Let’s get on with Awesome Mixtape Vol. 2: Retirement Jam Revival (you can listen to most of Vol. 2 on Spotify) .
Side 1 (Jeff):
“I got a few good ones talking to people last night.”
- Jeff Durbin
“Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangster” from “Office Space” (Also available in Awesome Mixtape Vol. 1)
Calling your own shots will make you feel like a gangsta…but in a good way.
Meghan Trainor – “Me Too”
Brent here: Apparently Chad was so perplexed he couldn’t comment on this one. If it helps, it was my 10-year-old daughter’s favorite song last summer.
Jimmy Buffet – “Margaritaville”
Heels yes, who wouldn’t want to kick back in a hammock on a sandy beach.
Johnny Paycheck – “Take This Job An’ Shove It” (Also available in Awesome Mixtape Vol. 1)
This was almost my selection last round, but I’ve switched careers and found a job that I love.
Kool & The Gang – “Celebration”
Perfect song in this situation! Knowing you have hit financial independence and are ready for the next chapter of your life is grounds for celebration.
Tears For Fears – “Everybody Wants To Rule The World”
This might be overshooting it a bit. The goal is to relax and do what you like, not total world domination.
“Let’s Go Crazy’ by Prince (Brent song 1. “Because we’ll throw a huge party to celebrate life and this Prince track — RIP, your Purple Holiness — will kick it off.”)
Love it, but crazy within reason…remember that money has to last you the rest of your life. Don’t go buy that Little Red Corvette unless you have already planned for it.
Side 2 (Taylor)
“I pulled a Jeff and crowdsourced the song question to my family…”
- Taylor Johnson
The fam’s contributions:
Dad (67) – “Centerfield” by John Fogerty
Yes, my man, I’m ready to play!
Sister 1 (38)
- “Cheeseburger in Paradise” by Jimmy Buffet
- “Big Pimpin’” by Jay-Z (“haha” — Taylor)
Sister 2 (31)
- “I Gotta Feelin'” by The Black Eyed Peas
- “Party Rock” by lmfao
- “All I Do Is Win” by Luda
Dig all these. They’re about taking control. Oh yeah…I’m sure you got a great feeling taking control of your retirement.
Wife (29) – “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus
Sweeet! Might shave my own head and throw a par-tay on retirement day.
“I Got Mine” by The Black Keys (Brent song 2. “When my ‘career’ is all said and done I’ll know I left everything on the court.”)
Great choice. Even better song. You should get yours because you were smart and planned for the future.
What’s Your Song?
Like to add to our Awesome Mixtapes: Master Your Retirement Jam? We’d love to hear your song. Drop us a comment on our Facebook page.
Latest posts by Brent Bowen (see all)
- Leaving Public Service? TSP = Red Tape You Might Not Cut - November 9, 2017
- 5 Unexpected Reasons Why We Love Alexander Hamilton - August 28, 2017
- Time Infographic: Unlock 30 Hours of To-Dos Per Day? - August 15, 2017